Past Conference Highlights
Over 300 Coaches, Teachers, Administrators and Sport Leaders took part in the 11th annual Ontario Coaches Conference in Hamilton, Unlocking the Coaching Secrets to Playing, Training and Winning. We would like to thank the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport for all of their support to the Ontario Coaches Conference from the Quest For Gold Lottery. They have been an unwavering supporter of the Coaches Association of Ontario’s programs since 2006, and we are very grateful for their support in making Ontario a great province to be a coach.
Friday – Secrets to Winning
Friday’s afternoon sessions featured world class coaches and sport leaders sharing their secrets to winning.
- Chantal Vallee, Head Coach of the University of Windsor Lancer’s Women’s Basketball team kicked it off with her personal story of growth, change and development.
- Joe Raso, NBA scout and Canada Basketball Senior Men’s National Team scout, discussed how the secrets to winning are more than just numbers.
- Kyle Paquette and Adam Kingsbury, Mental Performance Consultants, shared their secrets to dealing with the pressure to win.
Friday night kicked off with our Opening Keynote emceed by Chantal Vallee, Head Coach of the University of Windsor Lancers Women’s Basketball Team and highlighted by 2x Olympic Champion Rosie MacLennan and her long time coach, Dave Ross. A packed crowd listened intently as Rosie & Dave shared their secrets to what makes a winning coach-athlete team.
Saturday – Secrets to Training
Saturday morning was full of learning and sharing of coaching secrets to training! (clockwise from top left:)
- Dr. Dean Kriellaars (Cirque du Soleil, Canadian Sport for Life, University of Manitoba) unwrapped the bubble wrap and revealed how to build lifelong athletes.
- Dr. Stephen Norris, sport scientist and performance consultant, guided delegates on how to make all the right moves for age appropriate training and competition.
- Hilary Findlay, Brock University Sport Management professor, examined gender identity and inclusion in sport.
- Actor, writer and facilitator, Shari Hollett, guided a room full of coaches through improvisation and helped everyone appreciate the value of Coaching With Humour.
- Exercise Physiologist Bruce Craven, shared the secrets to building your athlete’s engine from the inside out.
The learning and fun never stopped, as Saturday afternoon was packed with more Secrets to Training (clock wise from top left):
- McMaster University Men’s Volleyball Head Coach Dave Preston and Hamilton Tiger Cats Head Coach Kent Austin, shared their secrets to successful coaching.
- Canadian Olympic boxer Mary Spencer, and one of North America’s top developmental tennis coaches, Casey Curtis, delighted delegates with personal stories of triumph and success.
- Toronto Raptors coach Jama Mahlalela energized the delegates with his passionate and enthusiastic presentation on becoming the ultimate clinician in the NBA.
- Dr. Katherine Tamminen from the University of Toronto, guided delegates through stress, emotions and coping in sport.
The Saturday evening social took place at the beautiful Art Gallery of Hamilton where we celebrated 150 years of coaching in Ontario. Delegates enjoyed delicious food and drink including a mashed potato bar!
Sunday – Secrets to Playing
Sunday morning and the Secrets to Playing was all about mastering fun! (clockwise from top left to right):
- From George Washington Univeristy, Heather Mannix and Dr. Amanda Visek were joined by Dr. Dean Kriellaars as they shared the true secrets to fun in sport.
- Coaching education director for the Virginia Youth Soccer Association, Paul Shaw, discussed how words matter and delighted delegates with how to master to fun in your program.
- Carolyn Trepanier closed out the conference getting delegates on their feet and proclaiming “I AM AWESOME!”
— Coaches Ontario (@coaches_ont) April 2, 2017
Thank you to all the delegates, speakers and partners who made this event a tremendous success. We look forward to seeing you in London April 20-22, 2018!
To view all the photos check out our Facebook page HERE.
**All photos courtesy of Brennan Caverhill**
To view presentations and resources from the conference, click HERE.
Thank you to all our partners who made this event possible!
Interested in exhibiting or becoming a sponsor for the 2018 Ontario Coaches Conference? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.