Coaches who take the following courses will receive trained status on their NCCP transcript.
NCCP Professional Development Modules
Fundamental Movement Skills (3 Hours)
Suitable for Coaches or instructors with previous NCCP training/elementary school teachers
The Fundamental Movement Skills of throwing, catching, jumping, striking, running, kicking, agility, and balance and coordination, form the basis for future sport skill development and for the life-long enjoyment of physical activity. Learn how to OBSERVE and IMPROVE the fundamental movement skills.
- Analyze and identify the various stages of development for the fundamental movement skills;
- Apply a six-step process to teaching the fundamental movement skills;
- Create safe games where children can practise fundamental movement skills.
Resistance Training (4 Hours)
Suitable for Coaches working with athletes at the high school or club level in a competition setting
A must-have for competitive coaches, this dynamic and interactive introductory workshop will teach you how to prevent injuries and increase athlete performance through proven resistance training tools. Become a better coach by augmenting your plan with elements such as:
- Stability training
- Core training
- Muscular endurance training
- Speed training
Mentorship. (7 Hours)
Suitable for Competition Coaches
The 7-hour Mentorship module is designed to prepare individuals to step into their role as a mentor with clarity of purpose, and confidence in their actions. The training reaffirms and strengthens their abilities and skills as a mentor, while expanding upon the mentor’s knowledge of the mentoring process. Completing the training will provide the mentor with standards and protocols for the implementation of mentoring within their coaching community.
By the end of the training, the mentor will:
- understand the concept of mentoring;
- understand the process of cognitive coaching;
- acquire and perform the communication skills required to be an effective mentor; and
- utilize the 3 steps of the mentoring process.
Training will include small group tasks, discussions, and debriefs. The emphasis will be on practicing the communication skills required of a mentor.
Empower + (4 Hours)
Suitable for Competition Coaches
Completing Empower + will allow you to:
Take your coaching to the next level!
An incredible addition to our NCCP workshop lineup, Empower + is an intense and thought provoking 4-hour workshop that will teach you how to enhance the well-being of the athletes in your care and be a positive role model in the world of sport.
In an interactive and dynamic learning environment, our expert facilitators will guide you through how to enhance athlete welfare by:
- Recognizing the potential for, and presence of maltreatment in sport;
- Learning when and how to intervene when you observe or suspect maltreatment.
You will bring your coaching to new heights by:
- Implementing the NCCP’s renowned six-step decision-making model;
- Mastering the art of the difficult conversation; and
- Creating a list of key positive athlete development strategies you can implement in your coaching right away.
- This NCCP workshop will set you up for success in coaching and in life!
Aboriginal Coaching Modules
Suitable for Indigenous coaches looking to incorporate culturally relevant content or non-Indigenous coaches who are working with Indigenous athletes.
The Aboriginal Coaching Modules are workshops that incorporates Indigenous cultural content into the basics of sport and coaching. The workshops are intended to:
- Provide culturally relevant courses for Indigenous coaches and athletes
- Increase the accessibility of the NCCP to Indigenous coaches
- Increase the capacity of non-native coaches to coach Indigenous athletes
- Increase the number of Indigenous certified coaches
- Improve the understanding of the application of Indigenous culture in sport and coaching
- Make the wisdom of Indigenous culture available to mainstream sport
Contact the Aboriginal Sport & Wellness Council of Ontario to learn more or find a workshop
Coaching In Ontario Schools
Suitable for Teacher-Coaches or Coaches volunteering in a school environment.
CIOS is a program developed by the Coaching Association of Canada and the Ontario Federation of School Athletic Association (OFSAA) to give teacher-coaches and community volunteers the special skill-set they need to coach effectively in the school environment. The three and a half hour course is NCCP accredited, and participants will also receive an OFSAA Certificate of Completion.
The workshop is led by a NCCP trained Learning Facilitator and combines information required by coaches of beginner to intermediate athletes with skills they specifically need to work with student-athletes in the school environment. The CIOS course is offered in both English and French.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to the Course
- Chapter 2 – Canadian Sport for Life
- Chapter 3 – Starting Point: School Sport vs, Community Sport
- Chapter 4 – OFSAA and School Sport
- Chapter 5 – Coaching Philosophy
- Chapter 6 – Policies, Procedures, and Safety Guidelines
- Chapter 7 – Coach Responsibilities
- Chapter 8 – How am I Doing?
Contact OFSAA to learn more about this course.